Your Waldorf car accident attorney will examine every potential source to recover damages in your case.
An Example of When Other Recovery Sources Might Be Necessary
In situations in which the insurance policy does not have a large limit and will not be enough to pay for the damages you suffered, it is important to have other sources for recovery. If, for example, you are in an accident with a teen driver and lose an arm in the crash, the amount of liability insurance the other driver has is a concern. If the other driver’s limit for liability is $25,000, it is clear that the costs of a lost limb will far surpass that amount. The insurance company for the other party will probably make an offer for a total amount of $25,000. Prior to accepting it, your Waldorf car accident attorney will need to look for other potential sources to recover damages.
Knowing What to Look for When Seeking Other Sources of Coverage
The following factors should be taken into account before accepting that the policy coverage is limited:
- Who is the owner of the vehicle that the teen was operating? It is possible that the owner can be held liable for the accident.
- Is the teen a student? If so, it is possible that the parents are still providing support. If the parents’ home is listed as the teen’s place of residence, the parents might have a policy under which the teen will be covered.
- Are the teen’s parents separated or divorced? If the teen spends time with both parents and they each own vehicles, then the policies covering them could supply coverage for your injuries.
- Is the teen in college and living with a brother or sister? If so, he or she might be considered a resident and be covered under the sibling’s policy.
- Could your own underinsurance policy be applicable? An analysis of your policy will reveal this.
- Was the teen driver under the influence? If so, the person who provided the alcohol could be found liable.
Call an Experienced Waldorf Car Accident Attorney
For assistance with pre-settlement considerations, call (301) 638-1280 to speak to a Waldorf car accident attorney at The Law Office of Carroll Drake, LC today.